In Canyonlands National Park, there’s a rugged beauty to the natural surroundings unlike anywhere else in the country, where the reddish brown rocks and enveloping silence create an isolated amphitheater of calm. That is, of course, unless you’re shrieking and smiling while splashing down Class V rapids as you raft through Cataract Canyon. On this 100-mile (160-km) full-day journey experience unforgettable scenery from the seat of a motorized raft. Able to handle both whitewater and flat water, this raft is the perfect method of transport for rafting in Canyonlands National Park.
- Full-day rafting trip through Cataract Canyon, from Moab
- Enjoy the combination of thrills and relaxation of traveling on a motorized raft with an expert guide
- Run more than 30 white-water rapids rated up to Class V
- Swim, hike and have lunch at calm points along the river
- Enjoy a world-class experience with time to soak in the beauty of the red rock canyon landscape
- Hike to waterfalls in side canyons and camp near the river if you choose the overnight option
- Includes all meals on the river, lifejackets and river gear, and transportation to the river
- Choose from three options at the end of the trip: return to Moab by ground transportation, by scenic flight or have your personal vehicle shuttled to Hite for your arrival
For a Canyonlands adventure you’ll never forget, raft the rapids of the Colorado River on an RHIB, or rigid hull inflatable boat, which can not only motor through the calm sections of river and offer a scenic cruise, but can handle rapids that swell to Class V during early summer snow melts. Hold on tight as you splash through rapids with names like Big Drop and Hell-to-Pay, and even during fall when the river isn’t as high; the whitewater sections are still wild enough for a thrilling, heart-pounding journey.
On the calmer sections of river you can swim or relax on the riverbank, and, if you choose to spend a night on the river, hike to waterfalls up hidden canyons to continue your Utah adventure. Throughout the journey your guide will both keep you safe and provide details on the park, from the wildlife, geology, landscape and history of the canyons to the rocks all around you. Read the Itinerary for full details on the tour options.
1-Day White-Water Rafting Tour:
After making your way to the meeting point in central Moab, travel by van to the put-in site on the river at Potash, located about 45 minutes away. Receive a safety briefing and lifejacket, then hit the Colorado River about an hour after leaving Moab.
On the 1-day trip, you raft the entire 100-mile Cataract Canyon section of the Colorado River, traveling through the heart of Canyonlands National Park. Experience the thrill of 30 world-class rapids rated Class IV and V, considered one of the finest full-day white-water rafting expeditions.
During the quiet upper river miles, look for wildlife, take in sweeping canyon vistas and enjoy amazing photo ops. Around mid-day, stop on a beach on the banks of the river to feast on a buffet-style picnic lunch.
Afterward, head downstream past the confluence of the Green River with the Colorado. Expect to get wet and hang on tight as your guide steers your boat through white water that provides lots of adrenaline-fueled fun.
At the end of the day, a 30-mile (48-meter) run across Lake Powell brings you to Hite Marina. After arriving at around 6pm, choose from three options: transfer to the van for the 2.5-hour return trip, take a scenic flight back to Moab or have your personal vehicle shuttled to Hite.