Armenian Church of Saint Gregory the Illuminator is the oldest Christian church in Singapore, completed in 1835 by an Irish civil architect key in the construction of the country’s overall infrastructure. A towering all-white structure, the church is adorned with numerous crafted pillars and features an entrance framed with classical pediments.
Aside from admiring the exterior façade, the church is surrounded by an open garden and at the back a peaceful cemetery that was never used as a burial ground. The tombs there were brought over from a site in Bukit Timah when it was exhumed. Even though the last regular services in the church halted in the 1930s, the interior still has alters and between them, a royal red carpet leading up to the nave.
Overall, the church is a standalone example of tranquility in busy Singapore. Every now and then the church is the site for art exhibitions, but other than that it is open for visitors to see.