Savannah's Sorrel Weed House was one of the first buildings in Georgia to become a state landmark.
Built from 1835-1840, the Sorrel Weed House was commissioned by shipping merchant Francis Sorrel. The house was later sold to local businessman Henry Weed, who lived there from 1862-1914. The house was first opened to the public in 1940, and became an historic landmark in 1954. From 1996-2005, the house was once again privately owned, but in 2005 it reopened to the public for historic tours of the city as well as ghost tours.
The Sorrel Weed House is reputed to be haunted – one of the most haunted buildings in Savannah – and has been featured on the “Ghost Hunters” television show and on The Travel Channel's “Most Terrifying Places in America.”
The Sorrel Weed House sits on one side of Madison Square in the middle of Savannah's historic district. It's a stop on historic house tours during the day and ghost tours at night.