Designed by architect J.D. Felsko in a neo-Gothic style, the Small Guild of Riga stands in the center of the Old City on Livu Square. Built between 1864 and 1866, the building features Italian mosaic flooring and stained glass windows with portraits of craftsmen and benefactors. The doors and window boxes are embellished with sayings in gothic letters.
The Small Guild, also known as the Guild of St. John, was a fraternity of master craftsmen in Riga from the 14th to the early 20th century. The Small Guild building stood alongside the Great Guild Hall, which brought together Riga merchants and writers. The interior was restored from 1999 to 2000 based on photographs from the 19th century. Today, the building functions as a cultural and folk art center and is home to a variety of cultural organizations. It is used for concerts, meetings and other festive events.
The Small Guild is located in the heart of Riga’s Old City, on Livu Square, and is easily accessible on foot from many tourist hotels. It is also walking distance from Riga’s central train station. It is open to the public weekdays for a small admission fee.