Portofino's waterfront is a jewel of the Italian Riviera with its pastel-colored buildings, but the vibrancy also extends onto the surrounding hills, where the bright yellow Church of San Giorgio sits overlooking the Portofino harbor. The original church on this site was built in the 12th century before it was expanded and later totally destroyed during World War II. The church seen today dates from 1950, although some features are from earlier structures.
The church takes its name from Portofino's patron saint, whose relics were brought to the city after the Crusades and are kept inside the church in a shrine. The small piazza in front of the church offers wonderful views over Portofino.
Mass at the Church of San Giorgio occurs on Saturday evenings in winter at 5pm and in summer at 6:30pm, and on Sundays and holidays at 11:15am. In July and August only, Sunday Mass is at 6:30pm.