The idea for Luxembourg’s MNHA was first conceived before World War II but thanks to German occupation of the city it only finally opened in 1946. Today the museum has four permanent collections housed in a purpose-built gallery completed in the early 21st century. The Coins and Medals and Fine Arts collections are found in the revamped original museum, which is connected to a central atrium with a façade of stone cladding that houses the gift shops and café on the ground floor. Hidden beneath this — and literally carved out of rock — are three subterranean floors where the archaeological treasures are exhibited. The latest addition is the Wiltheim Wing, which was added in 2014 and comprises several modernized townhouses where Arts and Crafts from Renaissance times onwards are now on display.
In addition, the museum normally holds several temporary exhibitions at any one time and these have recently featured diverse themes such as art from the Cold War period and the work of Luxembourg artist Joseph Kutter (1894-1941), who was influenced by the Expressionists and renowned for his landscapes and nudes.
Marché-Aux-Poissons, Luxembourg. Open Tue–Wed, Fri–Sun 10am–6pm; Thur 10am–8pm. Permanent collection free; admission to temporary exhibitions adults €7; seniors & children free. The attractions of Luxembourg City are easily accessed on foot.