A staple of Gran Canarian and Spanish culture, the botanical garden was named after pioneering Spanish cleric and scholar José Viera y Clavijo. It opened in 1959 after seven years of landscaping. And although it is intrinsically linked to the island’s history, the garden was technically the life work of Swedish-Spanish botanist Eric Ragnor Sventenius, who devoted a number of years of his life to optimizing and expanding the site. The garden, which spreads over 27 hectares and is officially Spain’s largest, comprises of 500 plant species endemic to the Canary Islands scattered in several divisions, like the "Garden of the Islands", the "Garden of Cacti and Succulents" and its 10,000 succulents, the "Laurel-leaved Forests", the "Fountain of the Wisemen," the "Macaronesian Ornamental Garden” as well as the “Hidden Garden” and its sublime greenhouse. It now houses plants from all over the world and a research laboratory.
Jardín Botánico Canario Viera y Clavijo is located on Carretera Nueva San Lorenzo in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria in the Canary Islands. It is located roughly 7 kilometers southwest of city center but easily accessible from by car via Carretera del Centro. It is accessible by bus via routes 301, 302 and 303. The garden is open every day from 9am to 6pm. Admission is free.