The Old Fortress is a Venetian fortress in Corfu Town on the Greek island of Corfu. It covers the promontory between the Gulf of Kerkyra and Garitsa Bay and is separated from the mainland by a moat known as the Contrafossa. The western tower of the fortress was fortified by the Byzantines in the 12th century and is known as the New Castle, while the eastern tower is known as the Old Castle. The old town of Corfu initially grew within the walls of the fortress, which was used to fight off three Ottoman sieges, in 1537, 1571 and 1716. None of the Venetian era buildings have survived, so most of those existing today were built by the British.
The most famous fortress on the island of Corfu, the Old Fortress today houses the public library of Corfu and the Hellenic Music Research Lab of Ionian University, as well as the small church of St. George, built in 1840. The grounds are often used for art and culture exhibits and the top of the fortress provides great views over Corfu Town.
To reach the Old Fortress, walk from Corfu town across the iron bridge that crosses the Contrafossa. The entrance is in front of the Liston, near the Esplanade.