Also known as the Alexander Palace, the Sandor Palace is the official residence of the president of Hungary. Sitting on St. George Square, just north of the Buda Castle complex in Buda, the palace was built in a neo-classical style between 1803 and 1806. Over the years, 19 different Hungarian prime ministers have called the palace home, including the famous Gyula Andrassy.
The palace was mostly destroyed in World War II and then ignored until 1989. After the fall of Communism in Hungary, it was gradually restored based on the original blueprints, which had been found in 1983. In 2002, the interior was completely renovated and furnished with objects that are reproductions of the originals. Today, the opulent Hall of Mirrors is used by the president for formal events, while the Small Empire Room is used for smaller gatherings. The Red Salon is considered one of the most elegant rooms in the palace and features a portrait of Empress Maria Theresa dressed for her coronation. The Round Salon has a replica of the original floor that was designed in 1928, as well as a ceiling covered with murals and niches displaying a variety of sculptures.
Sandor Palace is located next to the upper station of the Buda funicular, on St. George Square. The palace is generally closed to the public, although it occasionally opens on weekends during the summer months.